1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

which bike rack

Discussion in 'Gear and Accessories' started by Sam, Oct 13, 2015.

1. Sam

Sam New Member

Im thinking about getting a bike rack for my 56 plate renaut clio hatchback, something I can take off easily, would be rather nice to ride new places as there isnt much around here.
    I searched the internet but there seems to be so many to choose from and some dont look very good, worried about my bike falling off the back of the car or something :eek: I havent got a roof rack or a towbar .

2. paulsmith73

paulsmith73 Member

I can't remember what make of bike rack I had (have a big estate car now) but it was really easy to fit, was just held on by straps, so took only a few minutes to fit/remove.
    It was really secure too, a few times I forgot it was on the back of the car I had at the time, and accidentally went over some sleeping police men a bit fast. Pulled over to check as I was expecting the bike rack to be hanging off and all was fine much to my relief!!
    Hopefully someone can advise you on a current band that good quality...

3. Greg

Greg MTB Rider Staff Member

Bumping up an old thread I know but, I bought a 2nd hand Saris Bones rack off fleabay a few weeks ago, really good for the money. Fits really securely with loads of adjustment to fit the shape of the car and can also be folded flat for easy storage.

4. chris obrien

chris obrien Active Member

I have saris bones three bike carrier if anyones interested ,

5. Johnny

Johnny New Member

I have a saris bones but will be looking to buy rails and bike carrier. Can't stand the saris bones anymore.

6. chris obrien

why is that johnny ? mine was ok for hardtail but not for my full susser as limited space for top tube clamping , I have thule bike carrier with rails now , much easier for mounting

7. chris obrien

not a big fan of roof racks , did have saris bones but needed something that would take full suspension bike

8. Greg

I can kinda understand, loads of straps and the saris has the added faff of adjustable arms (if it's stored flat). I'd rather have roof bar mounted, however that's where to roof box goes :)

9. chris obrien

must say my saris bones rack was pretty solid with my hartail on it , fitted my citereon xsara really well , still got it if any ones interested

10. chris obrien

I have bought bob lotts focus estate off him , and bought his thule four bike rack as I have always wanted that sort of carrier , so much easier and it is solid plus you can lock rack to the car

Greg likes this.
  11. Johnny

Johnny New Member

It slowly rubs the paint off where the feet sit on the paint. I have a saloon mercedes e class with scratches. Plus, I have to use bungy cords to stop the bike acting like a sail and to stop the pedal smashing into the boot. Not worth the trouble or cost. Best with a roof rack....

Greg likes this.
  12. chris obrien

agreed....I had to do the same was not worried about scratches but if you have a decent motor yes

Greg likes this.
  13. Greg

That's a good point, when we were away if we stopped I always made sure the car was parked tight to a wall or similar just in case someone decided to try their luck.

You know I forgot about that, I've got a Octavia estate so the upper feet aren't a problem, but I remember looking at the lower feet resting on the bumper and thinking I should put some frame tape on the bottom of the tailgate for the exact reason you mention (still haven't got round to it!!). I've been using the straps to help secure the wheels/cranks to stop the pedals swinging round, same with the handle bars.

14. Johnny

Johnny New Member

I use a dust cloth under the upper feet but damage is done. Straps hold it in place so doesn't slip but it's marked the boot lid where the buckles have rubbed, feet have sat and I also have a few marks where the side clips have marked the car. It's a terrible device for nice cars.

Greg likes this.
  15. chris obrien

16. chris obrien

this is my rack