1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's the longest trip you've ever taken on a bike?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by KenBrace, May 19, 2015.

1. KenBrace

KenBrace New Member

I haven't done a whole lot of biking in my time but I did bike a ten mile trail at a state park once. It was pretty nice but with all the ups and downs I got pretty there towards the end.

What's the longest distance you've ever biked?

2. Stephen Linge

Stephen Linge New Member

3. Greg

Greg MTB Rider Staff Member

Welcome @KenBrace & @Stephen Linge
    Ken, stick with it and it does get less tiring and more enjoyable quite quickly :)
    Stephen, that's a really respectable distance well done!

I've ridden 100 miles, it was rewarding and an achievement (which I wanted to do) but I certainly wouldn't ever call it enjoyable!!! I do like endurance riding for the accomplishment, but enjoy shorter fun rides that's for sure (y) :thumbsup:

KenBrace likes this.
  4. Lindsay Lott

Lindsay Lott New Member

a group of us girlies go out locally on fridays, as the weather was so lovely one day we hopped on the train with the bikes to Chippenham, we clocked up over 65 miles cycling home along the ridgeway. Thats my longest. Hoping to do london to brighton off road in september =75miles!

AndyB likes this.
  5. Greg

Hi @Lindsay Lott and welcome!
    Well done, 65miles is no bimble round the park that's for sure! You'll be fine on the London to Brighton, try and get a couple of 50-60 mile rides in before the event, keeps your legs used to the mileage. Make sure you eat and drink plenty on the ride too, its easy to forget on long rides and dehydration and no energy will ruin what would otherwise be an enjoyable and rewarding ride. Good luck and make sure you let us know how you get on :)

chris obrien likes this.
  6. Alexandoy

Alexandoy New Member

I cannot say how far I've gone in terms of kilometers but I rode for more than an hour, one way, in a not so leisurely ride. What's funny was there were 3 of us on a bike and another riding a motorcycle. We were going to a nearby province, about 5 towns away and that trip was quite good because at that time there was not much traffic yet unlike now that the Metro Manila roads are always clogged with vehicles. This thread reminds me of those happy go lucky days. By the way, I was using an easy rider bike then, the one with long and high handle bars.

chris obrien and KenBrace like this.
  7. noodle

noodle Member

This is over the course of several days, but for me it would be the Otago Rail Trail. You can see information about the track here. If you're ever in New Zealand and would like a scenic 3-4 day bike ride (not demanding at all though) I'd recommend checking it out.

Greg likes this.
  8. chris obrien

chris obrien Active Member

a few years ago I rode from didcot down old street bridleway to cheively , onto newbury (past donnington castle ) then along kennet canal path to Hungerford ...some roadwork to Savernake forest where I picked up sustrans route in Marlborough which used to be railway branch line from Swindon , at ogbourne st George I picked up the ridgeway to climb up to liddington castle then down to main road ,tarmac for about 3 miles to foxhill where the ridgeway starts again , then all the way back to upton via white horse hill , must have been over 70 miles and about 4,000 feet of ascent , I would say roughly 75 % off road

Brian and Greg like this.
  9. bonzo

bonzo New Member

One Sunday last summer Mrs b and I rode upto the ridgeway from home then along to Overton hill and back ....56 miles round trip.

Greg likes this.
  10. allmtnbiker

allmtnbiker New Member

Off road the biggest is 74 mile, on road (swearing) 118 mile, the road miles are so much easier!!!

Greg likes this.
  11. Greg

Great going there.
    Although I found big hills harder on a road bike, not much low gearing, and also road bikes loads less fun :D
    Welcome to the forum btw.