1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

watership down route

Discussion in 'Pictures' started by chris obrien, Aug 7, 2016.

1. chris obrien

chris obrien Active Member

something different today loaded the car up and headed for beacon hill just off the A34 south of newbury
    from there headed up the long climb of ladle hill to wayfarers walk , under the A34 and the by way to lovely hamlet of dunley and over A34 to ceasers belt bridleway , typical roman road , dead straight that go,s all the way to the roman town of caleva at silchester ....I then took a right down towards overton , just north of there I found some lovely singletrack through the woods that went on quite a way , unfortunately my memory map gps died , so I had to go on the road to the next section of wayfarers walk and over watership down and great descent back to the car ..really good ride I recommend it ( check out my strava post ) 25 miles and over 2,300 feet of ascent , as you can see from the pics I am sure you will agree with me that it looks like the south downs , so I will be sure to go back ....

DSC00667.JPG

DSC00659.JPG

DSC00663.JPG

DSC00664.JPG

DSC00668.JPG

2. Mike Chapman

Mike Chapman New Member

Wow awesome looking ride! When we Gona do that one then?

3. chris obrien

yes mike , will do , some navigational issues , will be even better next time as it was a first time , came across free ride area in the middle of nowhere north of of overton and singletrack , will defo go go back

4. Greg

Greg MTB Rider Staff Member

Nice ride Chris! Every time I drive down the A34 I think I should check out the riding around Beacon Hill ... but by the time I get home after going where ever I'm going headed south I always forget :meh:
    Gotta love the efficiency of Roman roads and it does look a lot like the South Downs in your photos... which reminds me, I hope @Johnny got on well at the weekend...?

5. chris obrien

johnny ?......when I entered the woods where that single track was there was more in the opposite direction so next time I want to join it up , plus there was a free ride area further down probably made by local riders
    I would imagine there is quite a large mountainbike community in the Basingstoke area