1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using a Zee mech for XC riding

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by Greg, Apr 2, 2015.

1. Greg

Greg MTB Rider Staff Member

Had many, many months and miles of use out on my Zee mech. Fantastic bit of kit for the money, my only gripe is the poor quality of the jockey wheels which use a really basic sleeve bearing and very quickly wear out and stop spinning freely. Not a real problem as I had a pair of Hope's from my previous mech.

I've been running mine on an 11-36x30t then 32t chain ring 1x10 set-up, and it’s the perfect mech for the job for the most part. It even has enough capacity to run a 40t cassette range expander without having to make any modifications.
    The only downfall of the Zee mech for me, which is likely only going to be experienced, using the mech for XC/Trail riding, is mud clogging up in the cage. Having experienced some ridiculously sticky mud this year, it seems that when the short Zee mech cage gets heavily caked in mud there isn’t enough room between the jockey wheels for the mud to clear out. As soon as a stone (or build up of them in the mud) or similar object gets sucked round, it jams the chain route between the jockey wheels causing them to lock up and then drag the mech round ... the hanger does its job and snaps and at best just breaks or worse it breaks and the mech goes for an adventure in the spokes!
    Come to think of it there was also a problem with chain skip on the 11t high gear, the slightest bit of dirt/mud/gunk on there and the chain would skip under heavy load ... buy heavy load I mean 200+ lbs of Greg standing out the saddle, but I lived with it.

So 2 mechs, 5 hangers and a Hope jockey wheel later I've now got a medium cage XT Shadow+, so far its faultless, gear changes are just as sharp as the Zee plus there’s now no chain skip at all in the 11t. After looking at the Hope Jockey Wheels I wonder if the problem was due them being worn. Measuring the lowest point between teeth across the wheel there’s 2mm difference between the old and new ones... I'll remember to actually check them after a few months this time instead of waiting 1500 miles :/

Instagram Link

Instagram Link

Instagram Link

Instagram Link