1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tips for first time change of a tire tube

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by Sandra, Sep 28, 2015.

1. Sandra

Sandra New Member

I used to think it was just as simple as pumping air back into the tires, but it's not.

Any suggestions for the mechanical process of changing a tube in a standard road bike?

2. paulsmith73

paulsmith73 Member

This might not be the best place for road bike advice but I imagine the process is the same. It's not really too easy to explain so I found this video on you tube for you to watch, if you are struggling and unsure exactly what to do then it would be wise to practice a few times at home or even head over to your local bike shop and ask them to give you a hand. That way you wont end up stranded alone somewhere with a flat that you can't fix.

Greg and Steve Dawson like this.
  3. Steve Dawson

Steve Dawson New Member

Thats a great bit of advice there, I was completely stumped the first time I had to deal with a roadside flat. Ended up walking the 5 miles home. After that I practised lots of times and it wasn't a problem the next time it happened. Its a bit fiddly but you soon get used to getting past the tricky bits. I know in my local Halfords, if a customer goes in and asks for advice on changing a tire, as long as the staff have got time, they'll often do it for you, but they are super-fast at doing it, don't expect to be as quick as them.

Greg likes this.
  4. Greg

Greg MTB Rider Staff Member

Great vid Paul!
    The hardest part, even more so on a road bike with the tiny tyres, is getting the tyre off and on again with the leavers and without damaging the inner tube - either pinching with the tyre levers or with the tyre it self.
    Practice makes perfect!