1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stans Tubeless

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by Greg, Aug 8, 2015.

1. Greg

Greg MTB Rider Staff Member

I'm converted.
    After wrecking a brand new tyre and my last Schwalbe Extra Light DIY slime tube a few days before riding the South Downs Way. I popped in to the Specialized store in Newbury as they were the only place with any light weight tubes in stock. Then popped next door to see if Banjo Cycles had any Slime ... got chatting to the guy in there and we swapped stories of my slime tubes .vs his tubeless set up, and slowly but surely I started to come round to the idea of taking the plunge and going tubeless. I already had tubeless ready Stans Flow EX rims and tubeless ready tyres so it was just a case of buying the tubeless conversion.

After some friendly conversation, my questions about how to do the conversion answered, and a £52 lighter bank account I was on my way home. I just always seem to be a bit last minute taking a chance, it was Friday afternoon and in 12 hours I'd be getting up at 4:30am to drive to Winchester for the start of my epic 100 mile dirty century for the British Heart Foundation charity. Some people might say this isn't the best time to be making a major change to ones bike set-up... but how hard could it be??

Well, its a piece of cake actually! With around 110-120ml of fluid poured in (for a 29er) the new Schwalbe Racing Ralph TLE "Tubeless Easy" Double Defence rear tyre, it mounted up and inflated straight away. The 1500+ mile old Rocket Ron TLR "Tuebless Ready" wouldn't inflate, that old rubber was all flimsy and just wouldnt go, so carefully off with the tyre and wrap another strip of rim tape around and try again. Bingo, mounted up first time.

So a 200 mile comparison of the older Schwalbe Rocket Ron TLR "Tubless Ready" Front Tyre & Racing Ralph TLE "Tubless Easy" Double Defence Rear after setting up with Stans No Tubes.

IMG_6676.jpg IMG_6677.jpg IMG_6678.jpg IMG_6679.jpg

These tyres have been now ridden over all the thorny hedge trimmings I could find and hammered hard over the nastiest flints I could find - firstly the whole length of the South Downs Way, then another 100 miles of The Ridgeway.

The front tyre required two layers or rim tape to enable it to inflate on a Stans Flow EX rim. Once inflated there was a little weeping of Stans Fluid through the ride walls in places but nothing serious and only a couple of PSi pressure lost over night after setting up!

After 200 miles of abuse you can see the entire tread face of the Rocket Ron TLR tyre has little wet spots where the Stans fluid is sealing the hundreds of tiny punctures. There's not major pressure loss, nothing noticeable on a track pump at least, and after checking there is still a good amount of fluid inside the tyre.

The rear is one of the newer Schwalbe TLE Tubless Easy tyres which has an improved sidewall (http://www.schwalbe.com/en/newsreader/tubeless-easy-414.html). One wrap of rim tape on a Stans Flow EX and the tyre popped straight on. Over night the pressure stayed the same and there was no weeping through the sidewall!
    I decided to try the slightly heavier and more expensive Racing Ralph Double Defence tyre as I was getting really sick of flint gashes in the tread face of the normal Racing Ralph tyres, which I've already had to buy two of this year!!

After 200 miles of abuse I've only had one puncture on the Racing Ralph TLE Double Defence tyre. A flint cut in the tread face on the South Downs Way ride, it took a couple of minutes to seal up as I was riding down a decent and didn't stop, but even then it only lost 10PSi. Other than that there have been no other punctures and there are no wet spots either and it seems to be holding up well. So far I'm really impressed with the Double Defence!!!

2. Scott-Aspect740

Scott-Aspect740 New Member

think I might do this upgrade next, went on a ride with a friend on saturday and we both had punctures but only one spare inner tube each. the harmer was cutting back the bushes by the track. glad it happened on the way home had to stop evey mile to pump up the other tyre .really sucked.

3. Greg

Yea if they were trimming the hedges then there was probably a lot of thorns on the ground.
    It took me a year to decide to go tubeless, wish I did it sooner, it's great! Once you've gone tubeless make sure you keep a spare tube in your backpack and a couple of bits of old toothpaste tube.

paulsmith73 likes this.
  4. Scott-Aspect740

Scott-Aspect740 New Member

whats the toothpaste tube for?

paulsmith73 likes this.
  5. Greg

Cut in to patches, if you slice the tyre open and its too much for the Stan's fluid to seal, you can pop a tube in the tyre and place ons of the toothpaste patches where the hole is to stop the tube bulging out.

toothpaste.jpg

Leo Bayquen and paulsmith73 like this.
  6. paulsmith73

paulsmith73 Member

Thats a good idea! I never thought to carry anything in case a tyre was cut so badly it didnt seal. Have been tubeless for a couple of years with no problems or maybe lucky? Might pack a tube to be safe. I don't ride mega miles or anything.

Thanks for all the good info here!!

Greg likes this.
  7. Greg

No worries @paulsmith73 - and welcome to the forum :)

I seem to wear things out on my bike quite fast so I to try and have everything covered when out on a ride just in case :grinning:

8. Steve Dawson

Steve Dawson New Member

Would you say there was more maintainence involved with tubeless tyres Greg ? As I'm only going to be riding about 4 miles a day throughout the winter, almost entirely on roads, I'm not sure whether I should also take the plunge. I often just don't have time to do anything other than clean my bike down when I get in at night and have a quick check of tyres and brakes and such. In the mornings I'm always in a rush and would hate to be faced with a sudden extra job before I leave to cycle for work.

9. Greg

Stick with tubes! If you're doing low mileage commuting then the cost of going tubeless probably isn't a worthwhile investment vs. occasionally having to swap a tube out for that rare puncture and then repairing a tube at home.
    However if you find you're frequently getting thorn punctures then tubeless is a godsend!

Steve Dawson likes this.