1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Squirt Lube

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by Greg, Jun 10, 2014.

1. Greg

Greg MTB Rider Staff Member

Having used Muc-Off C3 Wet Ceramic Lube all winter I've been trying Squirt Lube so see if its a bit less messy and will hold up in the UK's mixed dry/wet/dry/wet (or should that be, wet/wet/wet/dray/wet/wet/wet/wet/dry/wet :rolleyes:) conditions. Using it in just the dry its great, did 40+miles and the chain was still quite and clean too. Last weekends ride was a mean mix of dusty, muddy, gritty, fully submerged conditions.
    Where the Muc-Off would have held up in the the Squirt got to 35-40 miles and then the squeaky dry chain noise started. To be fair for a dry lube I'd say if did quite well, I'll keep on using it but it definitely needs re-applying after a too much use in the wet/mud ... the bottles just about small enough to keep in the saddle bag though.

2. Adam

Adam New Member

I've never tried the Squirt Lube but I use Finish Line DRY Lube year round on the Mamba. It's super clean and keeps the chain nice and quiet even on longer rides. I clean the chain after almost (depends on how tired I am :eek:) every ride with a Park Tool Cyclone chain scrubber and Simple Green and then apply it pretty generously and let it dry over night. Makes a nice waxy coat on the chain and doesn't seem to attract too much dirt on the trail. Having said that though, I rarely encounter water on rides around here and only occasionally get into really muddy conditions in the winter. It's mostly hardpack, gravel, and sand on the local trails with the occasional creek bottom. I can see how it could also break down fairly quickly in the mud/water since it's so thin. Their website says it holds up well in "moderately" wet conditions but I'm not so sure how it would handle "submerged" conditions :p. Might be worth a shot though. I'll have to give Squirt Lube a try to see how it compares.

3. Greg

Greg MTB Rider Staff Member

I was going to try Finish Line then saw Squirt ... the OCD in me took over when I say Squirt had .2 out of 5 better rating than finish line on the online store I was looking at. I am pleased how quite the chain is with wax and how smooth everything seems to run. Another plus is how clean wax is, after I wash my bike the drive train looks impressively clean ... a quick brush off with a fine wire brush and any build up very easily comes off.
    I took the Squirt bottle with me last weekend with the intention or re-applying half way round the route if it was as wet as last time ... however it was worse and applying wax based lube over wet mud seemed pretty futile lol