1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sore backside on long rides

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sboss86, Sep 8, 2015.

1. sboss86

sboss86 New Member

Recently Ive been riding quit far compared to normal when I ride at the Cardinham, managed 35miles nearly at the weekend... But my backside was so sore I could hardly sit down... any ideas??? :flushed:

2. Greg

Greg MTB Rider Staff Member

You're probably getting sit bone soreness. Have you tried liner (padded) shorts? They can make a huge difference as they provide a bit of cushioning between the sit bones and the saddle.

3. sboss86

sboss86 New Member

Sounds like it. Kinda sore behind my nuts! I got some cheap padded shorts a couple of weeks ago and been wearing them over my boxers but still getting sore after lots of miles and a few hours riding

4. paulsmith73

paulsmith73 Member

Sounds weird at first but you do get used to it: Dont wear any underwear, just the liner shorts, your underwear will chafe on the pressure points and still cause soreness.

Greg likes this.
  5. noodle

noodle Member

I second the recommendation for padded shorts. You feel like a baboon but the benefits far outweigh any self-consciousness you feel!

If you are able to purchase a new seat that might help too. The seat that 'came with' my bike was terrible. I forked out and upgraded it and it makes a world of difference. That way you're able to find one that fits your body a bit better than a standard generic seat.

Rex Smith likes this.
  6. Greg

As noodle said, a different shaped saddle might help too.
    First, See how you get on with wearing the liner shorts without any underwear on. There's some good info about padded liner shorts below, which will explain how the chamois pad in padded shorts helps stop sore nether regions.
    http://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/beginners/your-chamois-users-guide#

7. sboss86

sboss86 New Member

I had a voucher for my birthday and I used it to buy the dnb dyno shorts and as they come with a padded liner. Looks a lot better quality then the cheap ones I bought before.
    I took pauls advise and now go comando and so far they are lots more comfortable, but I still get a bit sore, I searched online and lots of people say to use chamois cream? Just sounds odd, but putting cream on myself... I'm not sure tbh

8. paulsmith73

paulsmith73 Member

Again it is weird to being with, using chamois cream, but you get over it fast. Do what is right and what works for you, not your riding buddies. Asos is one of the most popular brands, I think you can get smaller tubes instead of having to buy a whole tub. Give it a go and see how you get on and if you are still having troubles maybe consider trying a different saddle.

Rex Smith and Greg like this.
  9. Greg

Make sure your saddle is properly adjusted too, a good place to start is with is level from the back to the nose of the saddle. You can see mine is a little bit down at the front, but that's the most comfortable place for me.

Capture.JPG

10. Rex Smith

Rex Smith New Member

Using the cream Ummm not my liking but padded shorts yes, and if it does not help then try considering replacing the saddle.

11. Greg

Was thinking about this yesterday, another cause might be if your saddle is too far back on the rails, if you are having to reach too far to the bars then you could be inadvertently sitting too far forwards on your saddle. Maybe try moving you saddle a 10mm forward and see how that goes. Unless you bought the shorter stem you were taking about, in that case fit the stem, level you saddle and try that (the shorter stem might make you sit a little further back on the saddle).

paulsmith73 and sboss86 like this.
  12. Greg

paulsmith73 likes this.
  13. sboss86

sboss86 New Member

I got a cheap 70mm stem off ebay that I will fit when I get it try out and see how that is. I leveled the seat too.

paulsmith73 likes this.
  14. Steve Dawson

Steve Dawson New Member

I have had similar problems in the past, although I'm slim I still have a big bum. I simply changed my saddle to one that could cope with my generous backside and it was a vast improvement. Make sure you also have a saddle that fits your body well and as everyone else has said, padded shorts are the bees knees when it comes to effective padding. I'm not too keen on the commando idea personally, but everybody is different and maybe it'll work for you. If you did 35 miles and you are not used to it, then it may just be caused by the unusual distance. If you did 35 miles every day it would likely not become a problem as your stamina improved.

paulsmith73 likes this.
  15. Faye1232212

Faye1232212 New Member

I've gotten this after riding for a long time. You may want to invest in a new seat. You might also benefit from customizing your seat so you have a more comfortable ride. I find myself adjusting my seat often as far as comfortability is concerned. Sometimes you have to tweak and customize your individual bike to suit your needs. Believe me, it works major wonders!!

16. sboss86

sboss86 New Member

Well I tried a the stuff you guys suggested and things are a lot better, did nearly 30 miles on saturday and felt great after. No more soreness except my legs! The shorter stem doesnt feel that much different but I have been anywhere with any technical riding yet.

17. Steve Dawson

Steve Dawson New Member

Glad to hear you've found the situation improved. If you can do 30 miles without any problems then it sounds like you're ready for any distance now. As for the sore legs, believe me, if I did 30 miles right now, my legs would be pretty sore at the end of it too. Did you try the commando idea by the way ? I'm hesitant to try it, because, you know, the male anatomy isn't always suited to that sort of thing. I'd love to know if you tried it and how it felt if you were not used to it.

18. sboss86

sboss86 New Member

Well I did 37 today!! Couldnt believe it, did 20 odd with my mates then carried on and did a load more by myself after having some snacks and topping up with more water.
    My legs were hurting by the end, different to the normal burn feeling and I was in my granny gear on the last few hilly bits.
    Does it take a while to get used to long distance rides?

Steve I've done the comando thing on my last two rides with the chamois cream stuff. Felt like a right weirdo to start with but then I figured that no one can see anyway. Feels odd the first ride but made tons of difference so def doing it for long rides!!!

19. paulsmith73

paulsmith73 Member

Good work! that is a lot of miles! It will take a while to get used to longer rides but once you have ridden a few then you want to go a bit further again!

Greg likes this.
  20. Greg

Well done @sboss86 that's a very respectable distance! Good to hear you got your problem sorted out too :)
    Once you've done a couple of longer rides they are easer, it's just about your body getting used levels of exertion over long amount of time. Make sure you eat enough and drink enough too to avoid a "bonk", which where you run out of energy (fuel, which is carbohydrates) in your body.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hitting_the_wall