1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Social Media

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by roll6, Sep 10, 2015.

1. roll6

roll6 New Member

How often do you use the social media in your daily life? Has it been of any importance? I do see my cousin spending the whole day liking pages on Facebook. He does not know anything about social media marketing meaning that he is just wasting his time and money. How do you make sure that you use the social media wisely?

2. paulsmith73

paulsmith73 Member

It's good and bad. For me it is a convenient way to keep up with things using Twitter for news, sometimes I look at Instagram for the often amazing photos posted on there, as for Facebook... Its a mess and I really only use it as an easy way to keep in touch with distant relatives. Its nice to see what they are up to and feel a little involved in their lives especially as I havent seen some of them for many years.

Greg likes this.
  3. Faye1232212

Faye1232212 New Member

I really don't indulge into social media like Facebook our Twitter. I do however love responding to forums. I don't think it is unhealthy as I have many interests abd like to discuss them.

However, when one tends to spend every living moment posting photo's of themselves or keeping track of others via social media platforms like Facebook, then it is a major problem.

This day in age, we are very self absorbed. We tend to think the world revolves around us. Which is what social media feeds.

paulsmith73 likes this.
  4. Greg

Greg MTB Rider Staff Member

It's the age of the convenience generation. Social media is like fast food if you ask me, easy, convenient, a quick fix of satisfaction... Like sitting down on the sofa and watching junk TV about rubbish. Forums on the other hand are like books, longer lasting, more informative, educational ... everyone should read more books :)

paulsmith73 and Steve Dawson like this.
  5. Steve Dawson

Steve Dawson New Member

Absolutely, books are the best way to relax and exercise your brain at the same time. All this social media usage seems to have gone overboard now that so many people have internet-connected phones, I'm often surrounded by these zombies during my lunch-hour. They're uncommunicative and oblivious to whats going on around them. I'm sure its a wonderful thing for some to be able to keep up with their friends, but do they really have to do it in every single spare moment. What do they find to talk about on social media ? Its not like some of them have any existence at all other than staring blankly at their phones all day seeing what other people have written about their lives. Increased connectivity in recent years has many benefits, but I don't think the bringing together of mankind is going to be one of them.

paulsmith73 likes this.
  6. chris obrien

chris obrien Active Member

I agree with steve ...to a certain point , I use facebook with immediate family and close friends who have something important to say ... we have a facebook page for our mtb group which is handy during the week for posts on where we are going to meet for the ride or events ,though I am trying to get them to join this site

Greg likes this.
  7. tumblecycle

tumblecycle New Member

I use social media daily and while I agree that it can take over some people in an almost unhealthy way, I do think it is undeniably the an important part of our new, technology-augmented social fabric.

I've been introduced to many new ideas through social media, have kept in touch with friends on the other side of the country (or in another country altogether), and have shared my interests with my friends as well as them sharing theirs with me. This would have been extremely difficult just 15 years ago. Now that social media is being incorporated into other services, such as Spotify, I'm excited about the future. My music tastes have broadened so much over just the past couple years thanks to Spotify and being able to share my playlists with friends and listen to theirs.

chris obrien and Greg like this.
  8. AndyB

AndyB Wheelie for Safety Staff Member

Maybe a better question is how long can you stand to use Facebook before having to close it? For me it's about 1 minute. I check Facebook maybe once a day.

Greg likes this.
  9. Matt Webec

Matt Webec New Member

It is said that some people check their phones 85 times a day... It does get addictive and actually prevents real living. But things like Twitter are a great way to get the latest unfiltered news and to keep in touch with friends etc on Facebook is great, but at the same time you get quite a fake view...

chris obrien likes this.