1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Schwalbe tyres

Discussion in 'Gear and Accessories' started by Neal, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Neal

Neal New Member

Wondering if anyone can help me, I'm currently running nobby nic up front and a rapid rob on the back which have served me well so far. Does anybody know much about hans dampf or magic Mary's and which is the best way to run these tyres? Thanks Neal

2. chris obrien

chris obrien Active Member

just fitted hans damph tubeless to my orange five , only ridden in dry conditions so don't know how they perform in wet muddy rides , we are doing Brecon beast a week sunday , so will see how it rides , don't know anyone who runs magic marys but will ask around for you

3. Neal

Neal New Member

I'm doing the beast too and this is the reason for my tyre change but don't want it to be a mistake as my tyres served their purpose last year. Something to think about cheers Chris.

4. Greg

Greg MTB Rider Staff Member

Hans Dampf get good reviews, think the Magic Mary is more of a downhill/gravity/enduro tyre so depends how you ride ... that said Hodges was doing well on the XC loop at Big Bike Bash running 29er Magic Mary's. I've run Racing Ralph and Rocket Ron's for years inc at the Beast - they're fine except for going hard in loose corners when I end up getting loose :dead:
    Maybe a Rock Razor in the rear for easier rolling and Dampf up front to keep you going in the right direction?

5. Neal

Neal New Member

Cheers Greg for the advice, I will definetly look at that combo as like you said the hans dampf is getting rave reviews at the moment especially in the uk.

6. Neal

Neal New Member

Hi Greg I can only seem to find a razor in 2.35 does that really matter?

7. Greg

Nope, they don't come any smaller than that as they're meant as a fast rolling trail/all mountain tyre rather than for XC. You could always go Hans Dampf front and rear for more grip at the back on looser surfaces, plus we're heading steadily in to the wetter months now!

8. Neal

Neal New Member

Okie dokie Greg cheers for the advice.

Greg likes this.
  9. Greg

Did you go for a pair of Dampf's in the end, was pretty muddy in places on the Beast route that weekend!!

10. chris obrien

chris obrien Active Member

did not make much difference on Exmoor , was dry but was so steep you could not ride it anyway , but good grip on downhills

Greg likes this.
  11. Neal

Neal New Member

Went with dampf on the front and the razor on the back, had no problems with them on the beast. they are still ok on the trails around me so yea happy with your advice.

Greg likes this.