1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sahmurai Sword Tubeless Repair Kit

Discussion in 'Gear and Accessories' started by Greg, Jul 2, 2016.

1. Greg

Greg MTB Rider Staff Member

Going tubeless is great, no more pinch flats, better grip running lower pressures, lower rolling resistance, no more patching thorn punctures. However one thing that tubeless struggles with is large cuts in the tyres, be it from rubbish on the trail like glass or metal or for much or the south of England it's that natural nasty called flint.
    Tubeless fluid simply can't heal large holes on it's own, but plug the hole with something and tubeless sealant will then do it's job and seal any leaks around the plug in the hole. There are heaps of tubeless repair kits available on ebay, the majority require the rider to carry a sharp spike tool in their back pack which is used to push the lugs in to the tyre, some might say it's a little unsafe carrying it in your backpack.
    Stefan 'Sahmurai' Sahm, multiple Cape Epic race winner, designed a safer and more convenient solution; the Sahmurai SWORD (Super Wicked Original Repair Device). This handy kit fits the tools safely in the handle bars of your bike, which also allows fast access to plug holes even quicker.

I've had a few bad flint cuts in the past which have barely sealed, one time I had one cut in each tyre in a single ride and was lucky that the tyres both sealed, but only after loosing nearly all the sealant fluid in the process and a good 15mins of pumping. That was a lucky ride as I didn't have a spare tube and was a very long walk from home. If I had had a tubeless repair kit then I would have been able to easily plug the holes, I'd have been back on the roll again in 5 mins and would have retained all the sealant.
    Since getting a Sahmurai SWORD repair kit I've used it twice to plug two holes big enough that even Stans Race Sealant wouldn't seal. Not the cheapest tubeless repair kit, but the only one that conveniently and safely stows away in handlebars, well worth the money!

Available from http://www.sahmurai-sword.uk/

sahmurai-sword-mtbriders-01.jpg sahmurai-sword-mtbriders-02.jpg P1030024.jpg P1020978.jpg P1030448.jpg P1030449.jpg

2. chris obrien

chris obrien Active Member

that's interesting ....ok one more tool to carry in your camelback ....but on a endurance ride might be good

3. Greg

I think it only weighs something like 40g? Thing is the actual tools secure in your handle bar as and double as bar plugs which is really handy. So far its saved my ass twice in one ride (Ridgeway South) and yes definitely good for endurance rides (y) :thumbsup::)

chris obrien likes this.
  4. chris obrien

where can I get one ?

5. Greg

6. chris obrien

ok have a good holiday

Greg likes this.
  7. Greg