1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Saddles - finding the right one can be a right pain in the...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Greg, May 21, 2014.

1. Greg

Greg MTB Rider Staff Member

Ever go for a long ride and not enjoyed it so much because of a pain in the backside? Having tried adjusting the reach and tilt in various positions I thought I just needed to toughen up a bit or get some better padded shorts ... neither of those was working for me so it was time to look at a decent fitting saddle.

Of all the saddles I ended up with a Charge Ladle!
    Its well worth the hassle of finding the right saddle though, finding one that is still comfortable after 30 miles is so nice.

Dont put up with a pain in the bum, get a saddle that fits! :cool:

2. Adam

Adam New Member

Totally agree! When I first started riding I thought the more padding the better. Turns out, not so much. The padding would shift and prevent good circulation and cause numbness. I swapped out the stock saddle on my first bike for a cushiony gel saddle but after a while on long rides it would get uncomfortable. I used to look at the thin, hard saddles that come on high end bikes and think there's no way that's comfortable, but after switching to a decent saddle (Bontrager Evoke 1) that actually fit I was amazed at the difference it made. A good quality, ergonomic saddle that's the right width so that it supports the bone structure is way more comfortable. Finding just the right saddle will probably be my next upgrade but I'm not really sure where to begin the search. There are so many to choose from and it seems like using the trial and error process could get expensive quick! Like you said, though, it'd be worth it in the end to find the perfect one.

Greg likes this.
  3. Greg

Second hand saddles are the way forward if your trying several out to get the right fit - plus they always seem to retain their second hand value quite well if in good condition when it comes to re-selling them. Also it might be worth speaking to your LBS, often they have a kinda memory foam board which you sit on and your sit bones will leave indents that can be measured. That was my next step if my ebay Charge Ladle didnt fit well ... luckily it does and its nice not to have a sore bum on long rides anymore, in fact its better than nice, its fantastic! Its a shame its not as long as the Selle that came with my bike, seems odd but I miss being able to scoot forwards or backwards a bit on hard/steep climbs.
    I'm sure there will be a much better explanation on a roadie website than I can give, but that inch or so change in riding position on the fly during a climb seems to use slightly different leg muscles and is a nice change when the legs are burning away.

4. Adam

Adam New Member

You know, I hadn't even thought about going on eBay for a used saddle but that's a great idea. After a quick search it looks like there's some decent deals on there. I usually try to buy everything through my LBS but I might make an exception in this case.

I think you're a level above me in the skills department. When it comes to climbing I'm usually just trying to suck in enough air that I don't pass out and keep the legs pumping, lol. It probably wouldn't hurt to try to brush up on my technique some. The plan is to be in much better shape by the end of summer where I can focus on that a little more.

5. Greg

Maybe yes, probably no on the skills :p I cant really explain it, more on longer rides where legs get a bit achy more than burning, I'd say, when slugging up a hill. A bit of a change in position seems to use different parts of the muscles giving the sore bits a slight rest. I sure theres a proper explanation for it ;) Trust me I huff and pant away riding, weird though it sounds I GRRRRRR a bit too lol, think thats determination leaking out ha ha.
    I'm an inpatient traveller ... shows in my riding too as I'm always pushing myself to go faster so I can get more miles in so it feels like I've achieved something.I'm only keeping that up for this year to reach a couple of goals, next year I want to be hitting more trail centres and using the fitness I gained this year for fun next year, thats the plan.