1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Raleigh bike problem

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by JamieG34, Nov 25, 2015.

1. JamieG34

JamieG34 New Member

I own a Raliegh mountain bike that I purchased about two years ago. I noticed that the last time I went trail riding, there is a noise coming from the pedal area. I'm not sure if it is the pedals themselves, or if there is something wrong internally, but it makes a squeaking noise and skips every so often. I know that it isn't the chain or the gears because I have had them looked at. Any thoughts on what could be wrong?

2. chris obrien

chris obrien Active Member

it could be the bottom bracket bearings ...is there play in the cranks ? if so it might be worth getting a new b/b , chain reaction do the cheaper but still quality (deore )ones ...are your pedals shimano ? they too are very rugged and last a long time before making a noise ....it all depends on the quality of the components that are on your bike ...PS....check your chainwheel bolts if they are loose

Greg likes this.
  3. Greg

Greg MTB Rider Staff Member

Hi Jamie, welcome to the forum!

That's an interesting one. When you say it squeaks and skips does it do that when you apply pressure to the left and right pedal when riding or just one side? And is it a little short skip, or a big skip like chain jump (when the bike isn't quite in gear)?
    As Chris said, check and see if there is any play in the cranks, also the pedals, the skipping feeling might be badly worn bearings in the pedals or bottom bracket...