1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Punctures; tubes or tubeless?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Greg, Jun 28, 2014.

?

Tubes or Tubeless?

1. Tubes

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. Tubeless

3 vote(s)
    60.0%
  1. Greg

Greg MTB Rider Staff Member

I'm still 50/50 on going tubeless. I'm a bit worried about the extra weight on a 29er and also the mess when swapping tyres. I'm not sure if its worth the ball ache?
    Currently I use Panaracer Flat-Away kevlar felt liners. I've only had two flat tyres ... one was a puncture before I used the liners (and the reason for buying them), the other was 4 months later when the Slime Skab I used for the puncture repair failed.

I think thats pretty good going ... is the weight, expense and mess of tubeless worth it?

2. Alexsaysnomnom

Alexsaysnomnom New Member

From different stories I've read, tubes seem to be the least hassle. Besides, if you can't get a tubeless inflated on the trails you'd have to stick an inner tube in anyway

3. Greg

I've been trying something else recently. I've found the rear tyre gets more thorns in it and takes more damage from flints, etc, as it carries the most weight. I'm a tiny bit weight conscious as I ride a 29er, rotational mass matters to me as the heavier the wheel set the more effort it takes to get and keep them turning. I also swap tyres quite often - for example I've been on mud tyres all winter, recently swapped to XC tyres as its been dry, but tomorrow it supposed to pish it down so have put a tyre with more grip on the rear for climbing.

As part of keeping weight down I've always run Schwalbe SV19A light weight tubes, and after looking the Slime brand tubes with Slime pre-filled weigh loads (I carry one as a spare) - cheap tubes with lots of Slime in, so I'be bought a bottle of Slime from Wilkinsons and put that in the SV19A tube. This seems to be the best compromise, no flats so far, and there have been LOTS of thorns and the tube has plenty of 'healed' holes in it!

4. Mark Cleverly

Mark Cleverly New Member

Tubes or tubeless... How about both! I converted 2 1/2 years ago, front is still going strong with no problems although will need changing before the winter mud. Now the rear is another story, tried all sorts, currently on my 5th which has just split so now fitted with an inner tube, like Greg I've gone for a good quality inner and put 1/2 a tube of slime in it. I'm not worried about a bit of weight.

5. Greg

Hi @Mark Cleverly and welcome :)
    Almost a month since I went tubeless and its been great so far .... honestly dont know why I didn't do it sooner!!! I've got one of the newer Schwalbe Double Defence tyres on the back now, seems to be holding up really well so far. Still carry a spare tube and some bits of toothpaste tube though, flint is evil stuff!

6. noodle

noodle Member

I'm definitely a tubeless fan. There is a lot of broken glass on the way to some of the tracks I ride at and stopping to sort out a punctured tube uses up so much of my ride time. It's more expensive but saves me money (and time) in the long run.

chris obrien and Greg like this.
  7. Greg

I eventually made the move to tubeless, I think it was £52 for the Stan's fluid, valves and rim tape. I already had Tubeless Ready tyres and rims. Certainly the time and frustration saving are worth the money.
    You can see in the other thread I started about going tubeless how many times the front tyre has been punctured by thorns and and such.

8. Rex Smith

Rex Smith New Member

Tubeless it is for me, as my previous experience with tubes is not so pleasant.

chris obrien and Greg like this.
  9. James Griffiths

James Griffiths New Member

Personally I always gravitated towards tubes because I can easily maintain them and install them, plus they are widely available and they are cheap and reliable, however they are easily prone to punctures which can easily effect your bike performance and the installation process for a new one as well.

10. chris obrien

chris obrien Active Member

I got so fed up with having punctures I went tubeless , 18 months later and not one puncture ,as you can see from the photo I used a stans injector , so much easier , and...I inflated tyre with track pump

11. chris obrien

tubeless.JPG

Greg likes this.
  12. chris obrien

blimey looking at results of poll some people are having issues with tubeless so far

13. Greg

I voted tubes originally but have gone tubeless since then, just changed my vote so tubeless is winning!

The Injector is a good idea, I had to refill my tyres a while ago by breaking one of the beads and pouring more Stans fluid in.