1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Probably time for a brake upgrade...

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by Greg, Aug 2, 2014.

1. Greg

Greg MTB Rider Staff Member

Baked my rotors in Cornwall, now blued and super screamy, probably not cut out for stopping 15+ stone of Handsome Greg getting Ugly lol. I'm sure they could be de-glazed to go again but as they are getting fairly worn its time for new rotors.

Certainly looking forward to bedding in my Hopes on the new bike soon!!

Avid HS1 Rotor
    IMG_3303.jpg

Avid HS1 Rotor
    IMG_3294.jpg

2. Greg

Well a good ride yesterday and with new rotors fitted it was a treat to have great brakes again! (y) :thumbsup:
    I'd even say they are better than when new ... the Avid HS1's seem to be alright for XC and general trail (bimble) riding but they havent been so good at stopping a big guy riding with enthusiasm. Theres a bit more meat on the new rotors and they feel a lot more bitey.

3. Alexsaysnomnom

Alexsaysnomnom New Member

Aye, my front Avid Elixir stopped working a week ago so temporarily not using a front brake until I get a new job down south. Plan to slowly change most of my bike components to Hope, the quality looks fantastic!:love:

4. Greg

May be worth in the meantime looking at some Shimano SLX brakes, or even the cheapest Deore brakes, as they are an extremely well regarded brake for the money. There are normally new or nearly new on ebay for not too many ££'s and will get your bike trail worthy again .. and you'd have no trouble selling them once you upgraded to Hope's.

Hope components are great, not cheap though, but you get what you pay for with Hope bits. Have been using Hope brakes for a couple of months now and they are a world apart from my old Elixir 5's.

5. Alexsaysnomnom

Alexsaysnomnom New Member

Yeah a bike shop in Barnstaple highly recommended the SLX..feel spoilt for choice now :p

6. roll6

roll6 New Member

You must be keen and upgrade to good quality breaks. That is only when you can avoid accidents. I have fitted my mountain bike with Avid hydraulic disc brakes. They are very effective and need little maintenance. I only have to replace them once in a while.

7. Steve Dawson

Steve Dawson New Member

It looks like you got your moneys worth out of those at least. I use The Deore (I think its the 615) and I've always been pretty happy with them. Its interesting how you mention that you're a big chap Greg, its an overlooked factor in braking that bigger riders need more stopping power and weight loss and gain have to be considered when you're planning which brakes to use. How often to you generally leave your brakes before changing ?

8. Greg

@Steve Dawson yes and no! I got through lots of brake pads with the Elixirs in the 12 months I had the bike they were on, I'd say that they weren't up to the job that I wanted them to do, which accelerated the wear on the rotors and pads - small rotors, small pads and weak breaking force.
    Riding style and rider weight are definitely major factors to consider when buying brakes. I also wonder how much difference bigger wheels make to this, probably not a huge amount,but rotating mass, etc.

Servicing wise I seem to kill pads in the winter, can quite easily get through a set of pads a week depending on where I'm riding and the conditions; sandy or gritty mud being the fastest killer of pads. Summer is a while different story, I'm still on the same set of pads for nearly 6 months now, and they're still in great condition even after plenty of hard use. I started using Uberbike Components RaceMatrix pads this year and they are really really good and affordable too.