1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New chain, replace the cassette too!

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by Greg, May 26, 2014.

1. Greg

Greg MTB Rider Staff Member

A couple of weeks ago the bike began to struggle getting into the 11 and 36t gears, fixed by fitting a new chain though this then caused awful chain jump in the lower gears, to the point one of the chain link pins bent :( Easily repaired with a KMC Speed Link.

So this weekend the Grand Canyon AL SLX 7.9 29er has been treated to some more new shiny bits, well one, a rear cassette. I'm trying out a different chain lube. As much as I like the Muc-Off C3 Wet Ceramic Lube its a total mare to keep cleaning off cassette, chain and chain ring!!! Having read plenty of great reviews for Squirt Long Lasting Dry Lube I decided to give it a go ... we'll see how it fares over the next few months, hopefully it will be cleaner than the Muc-Off lube in wet weather which will help reduce wear in the long run. It'll get a good test next Saturday as have a 40 miler planned :whew:

Cheap Deore cassette = mangled hub :doh: Already filed down once on a previous service a couple of months ago.
    Shimano Deore XT 11-36 Cassette-1.jpg

Worn teeth!
    Shimano Deore XT 11-36 Cassette-4.jpg

Deore cassette = no carrier.
    Shimano Deore XT 11-36 Cassette-5.jpg

SLX & XT cassettes save hubs! (Low gears anyway :p)
    Shimano Deore XT 11-36 Cassette-3.jpg

New vs. Old.
    Shimano Deore XT 11-36 Cassette-2.jpg

XT cassette expanded view.
    Shimano Deore XT 11-36 Cassette-1.jpg

Shiny Newness.
    Shimano Deore XT 11-36 Cassette-2.jpg

:cool:
    Shimano Deore XT 11-36 Cassette Zee-1.jpg

2. Origami Crane

Origami Crane New Member

Nice! I always love putting shiny new parts on my bike! I haven't had to replace my chain yet. I have a feeling that I will have to soon though.

3. chris obrien

chris obrien Active Member

think I prefer sram cassettes over shimano