1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mud guards or no mud guards

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Scott-Aspect740, Sep 23, 2015.

1. Scott-Aspect740

Scott-Aspect740 New Member

What does everyone else do? Some of my friends say mudguards are for wusses :cautious:

2. Steve Dawson

Steve Dawson New Member

I bet your friends have either incredibly dirty clothes, a close female relative with a love of washing-machines or possibly a large, heavy-duty cycling cape. I'm not sure about professionals or any potential strategic advantage to not having them, but my tatty old washing-machine is not going to cope well with cleaning an acre of Wiltshire off my jeans every night. Mudguards without question for me. Is there any racing discipline where its an advantage not to have them ?

Greg, Scott-Aspect740 and noodle like this.
  3. noodle

noodle Member

I definitely need mudguards! The tracks here (especially in early Spring as it currently is) can be unexpectedly muddy. You will literally get covered in mud if you don't have proper mudguards.

I guess they might not be too necessary if you're riding on very dry terrain though. That is so rare here I can't even imagine it!

4. Scott-Aspect740

Well I don't want to get covered in mud again, I went out a week or two ago after there was a lot of rain, and we all got covered all over in mud. Was fun at the time but then I had a horrible pile of clothes in the kitchen that I had to sort out, my mum wasnt too happy about it so I had to hang it all on the washing line and hose it down first before putting it all in the washing machine!
    Which mudguards do you guys use?

5. Greg

Greg MTB Rider Staff Member

Absolutely yes to mud guards, maybe they don't look cool, but neither does a brown stripe up your butt and back!

I keep a small Muckynutz front guard on all year round, in the summer it keeps stones (and if Im unlucky poo) from flying up in my face. In the winter it also funnels the mud away from the fork stanchions which is good for my folks! I'll try and find a photo later.

In the winter I put my rear guard on first, then when it gets really horrible and wet out and there's loads of spray from the front wheel, I put a front guard on too.
    I have 29er specific SKS guards which are a bit longer than regular ones and are quick release too.

6. Greg

Even many down hill and enduro riders are using some kinda guard these days. The only people I really see not using one at all is the XC racers, every gram counts to them though I suppose and they are only riding for a couple of hours or so... And not for leisure that's for sure!

Steve Dawson likes this.
  7. Greg

Scott-Aspect740 likes this.
  8. Scott-Aspect740

Thats muddy alright! Is the small mud guard cable tied around the top of your fork?

9. paulsmith73

paulsmith73 Member

Greg likes this.
  10. Greg

Yep, it's held on with thin Velcro straps.

11. Rex Smith

Rex Smith New Member

Absolutely yes for me, I do not have a pleasant feeling of mud hitting my backside and my face as well, it annoyes me to distraction.