1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Middle-aged and knees starting to stiffen up.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Steve Dawson, Sep 23, 2015.

1. Steve Dawson

Steve Dawson New Member

I'm an experienced downhill mountain biker and have been one for over 20 years. At 44 I'm still fairly fit, slim and although I don't go quite as fast as I used to, and take it easy on the big jumps I'm still fairly active, riding 5 miles almost every day and doing a fairly tough downhill about once a week. In just the last few months I've started experiencing a stiffening-up of my knees during my 5 mile runs. They don't give me problems after I've had a hot shower and a rest but they can get quite painful during the run. Have any other old codgers experienced this during rides, and if so, could they offer my any advice on how to avoid the problem ?

2. Greg

Greg MTB Rider Staff Member

Tough to internet diagnose and I'm no professional! If having a hot shower doesn't aggravate the issue, and you say it occurs during running, then I'd think it's something simple. Maybe it's time for new running shoes, perhaps if they are old and if you have put a lot of miles under them then they could be worn out, and so not supporting you or cushioning properly any more?
    I get really bad cracking and pooping knees, a chondroitin and glucosamine supplement has helped a bit along with Omega-3 fish oil.
    All that said, I'd recommend speaking to a physio and getting a professional assessment, you only get one set of knees, look after 'em!!

Steve Dawson likes this.
  3. paulsmith73

paulsmith73 Member

Try doing some stretches too, I always thought runners looked like they were posing and such when I saw them stretching out their quads and hams before an event, even thought the same a bit of cyclists. Then I started riding further and faster and found those same stretches really helped warm my muscles up before a big ride, and in turn reduced the strained feeling in my muscles a bit on harder rides with tough climbs. I make sure I do a couple of minutes before and after too.

Greg likes this.
  4. Mark Cleverly

Mark Cleverly New Member

To be honest I'd give up running and cycle more, l used to run but gave up due to a knee injury, took up cycling and it was ok, then put on too much weight and it came back, got back into cycling lost the weight and hey presto knee ok again. Although I'm not saying it's perfect as I've just come back from the lakes and suffering with it again due to the pounding walking down from one of the fells, not to different from the pounding from running. Been spinning to work this week to give it some light exersice and it feels much better but I'm still considering getting a support, something like http://www.rehbandsport.co.uk/ blue line 7mm support

chris obrien and Greg like this.
  5. Greg

@Mark Cleverly Hils has using some bracing tape for her knee, I'll find out what it's called, might be useful

6. Greg

7. chris obrien

chris obrien Active Member

yes , I used to do running , but screwed my knee up ...that's why I took up mtb