1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jump Gully - R.I.P

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Greg, Oct 24, 2015.

1. Greg

Greg MTB Rider Staff Member

Gutted.
    The Crown Estate decided that due to high rates of injury Jump Gully was to be removed. Haven't been on Facecrap much lately so only found out from @Mark Cleverly a couple of days ago.
    It's a huge shame that didn't decide to make Jump Gully safer rather than destroy it. It wouldn't have taken much to remove the big features, smooth off the sides to remove the big hips, remove the big sender on the right at the entrance, and then keep on top of stopping anyone from digging bigger features.

Swinley was the first place I had ever ridden anything like Jump Gully, and I loved it because the dirt jumps were novice friendly, they can be rolled at any speed and as confidence and experience increases they can be hit faster. Then you'd be getting air without having to actually huck the bike or anything, not to mention how forgiving the jumps were to small mistakes if you're a novice. Such a great place to learn how to ride jumps and now it's gone. I guess Baby Maker will be getting filled next...

p4pb12793482.jpg
    Photo: Andy Prior

2. AndyB

AndyB Wheelie for Safety Staff Member

That's too bad. Perhaps it was just less expensive to remove than improve.

3. Greg

Greg MTB Rider Staff Member

Probably, Swinley is a very very busy place, with literally EVERY experience level of rider. To make it safe enough it would probably require staffing to stop inexperienced riders ending up on there. Real shame its gone.