1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How often do you check your tyres?

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by Greg, Aug 15, 2015.

1. Greg

Greg MTB Rider Staff Member

Probably a question you associate more with cars than an mountain bike. However one thing I've learned to do is regularly check my tyres for cuts because there is flint everywhere around here, and with the rear tyre taking most of the weight, it's prone to getting lots of small deep cuts.
    What to do about the cuts? I prefer to dab a little superglue into them, that way nothing else is going to get in there and possibly cause a puncture. So you run tubeless or slime tubes and the puncture would heal quickly... Personally I'd rather prevent the puncture in the first place :)

IMG_6700.jpg
    IMG_6701.jpg
    IMG_6702.jpg

paulsmith73 likes this.
  2. noodle

noodle Member

Great closeup photos! I must admit I don't check my tyres after every ride. I probably should as there is a lot of shrapnel around here. I also keep my bike in the basement/garage which despite regular sweeping seems to collect all kinds of sharp metal bits! I use tubeless tyres though and I don't experience too many issues considering. I try to check them occasionally though - usually before a big day if I'm doing a whole lot of preparation.

3. roll6

roll6 New Member

I do check my bike tyres after every ride. That is when I clean my bike and inflate the tyres. It is recommended that we should check for punctures before going out to ride. You can repair them yourself or take your bike to a mechanic who will do that for you.

4. paulsmith73

paulsmith73 Member

I dont think I ever have checked mine but, after reading this I did, and there werent any big cuts.
    Sounds like you have a lot of rough trails where you are @Greg?

5. Greg

Greg MTB Rider Staff Member

We've got a LOT of evil flint round here which does a lot of damage to tryes!