1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you feel about riding without a helmet?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Faye1232212, Sep 23, 2015.

1. Faye1232212

Faye1232212 New Member

I know this may stir some controversy but does everyone really use helmets all the time? Whenever I ride, I wear my helmet depending on the terrain.

When I am in rugged terrain, I tend to wear my helmet as I am more apt to have an accident. I almost always wear my helmet. If I don't it's because I've ridden the trail enough to be comfortable with it as I am somewhat prepared for the terrain.

If it's a nice day outside however and the terrain I ride on is smooth enough, I do not wear a helmet. I think helmets sometimes take away from the natural beauty of riding. So riding without it sometimes make me feel more at peace.

In all however, wearing a helmet is essential in order to survive a bad fall or accident. There have been far too many instances where I've seen people almost lose their life simply because they weren't wearing a helmet.

2. paulsmith73

paulsmith73 Member

It's a no brainer for me, I always protect my brain, even if I'm just riding to town I wear a helmet.
    I still see a lot of people riding without one which worries me really. It only takes one wrong turn, a slip, or a driver not paying attention and they could end up in hospital or even worse...
    Welcome to getoutandmtb too @Faye1232212

3. Greg

Greg MTB Rider Staff Member

Definitely a controversial subject. I see many people commuting to work every day on the roads without a helmet, that really is crazy... Especially seeing how some of the cars are driven!
    I had a fairly bad accident as a kid, bashed myself up pretty bad, since then I always wear a helmet no matter where I ride. I also see far to many MTB related accidents to even consider not wearing one... Think about it this way: there is no more than 10mm between the outside world and your brain... :eek::dizzy::fearscream:

4. Will

Will New Member

I always wear a helmet, gotta stay safe.

Greg likes this.
  5. Scott-Aspect740

Scott-Aspect740 New Member

I always wear mine, one of my friends knocked himself out once when he came off his bmx on the half pipes! Since then we all always wear them. He had the biggest bruise I've ever seen!

Greg likes this.
  6. Sam

Sam New Member

I didnt used to wear one but I recently got one when I bought my new bike as I'm planning to do more proper riding than I used to.

Greg likes this.
  7. Rex Smith

Rex Smith New Member

There is no way I would ride without a helmet because accidents can happen anytime and one knock on your head could be fatal. It should be compulsory legally and fine should be incurred for those breaking the law.

8. Steve Dawson

Steve Dawson New Member

Thats an interesting perspective Rex but I have to say I don't agree. Like everyone else I will wear a helmet whilst travelling to work and on longer journeys, however, I wouldn't on a run down to my local shop. The last thing I would want to see is more legislation that restricts the freedom of cyclists and cycling, and having to put on a helmet for a 200 metre journey that involves no roads at all.

Greg likes this.
  9. Sandra

Sandra New Member

I feel like it's dangerous either way, but just a little more risky without the head protection. I have definitely done it because my hair is so thick (locs), but I try to be extra careful and stay away from crazy traffic.

10. Greg

Greg MTB Rider Staff Member

That's a real tough one there Rex!! Thing is it could be argued that even taking a walk down the road, you could trip or fall and knock your head ... potentially with fatal consequences. Everywhere I ride I really need to wear one, be it off road on the trails or on the road, I wouldn't ride any of those places without a helmet. However as Steve said, maybe a slow ride on a cycle path (not on the roads) just down the road to the shops, wearing a helmet may not be necessary.
    Making an enforceable law to wear helmets at all times would be near impossible. So I think better awareness through education is the answer, give people the right information to make the right decision; which is to wear a helmet where it's necessary and sensible to do so.

11. noodle

noodle Member

I'm a little late to the conversation but here in New Zealand it's a legal requirement to wear a helmet on a bike - no matter the length of the journey. I can see where the criticism of that comes from, but having witnessed many bike accidents (three of them fatal) I support the law.

It might depend a lot on where you live too. Around here it's very hilly and you're often riding at the base of a cliff. Rocks frequently tumble down and can easily hit people on the head. One of my mother's workmates was killed like that about 20 years ago (although they were walking so it's not really relevant to this topic!). Here it makes total sense to wear one. I guess if you live in a flat, sparse area then it wouldn't really be a big deal.

They don't police mountain-bike tracks at all but I've never seen anyone without a helmet. I think it mostly comes down to the nature of the tracks and what the 'norm' is here.

Greg likes this.
  12. chris obrien

chris obrien Active Member

modern helmets are so comfortable you forget your wearing it , I wear mine on ride to work even on traffic free commute

paulsmith73 and noodle like this.
  13. paulsmith73

paulsmith73 Member

14. Mark Cleverly

Mark Cleverly New Member

I wear mine all the time, especially when riding off road, but only the other evening was commuting home and got distracted and head butted a low hanging branch... Still suffering with a stiff neck and shoulders, if I wasn't wearing the lid I would have probably scalped myself.
    So yes always a good idea to wear one, now I'm looking for a new one, got my eye on the Bell super 2R.

15. JCMTB

JCMTB New Member

Yea I will ride without a helmet when I am just cruising around town. As long as I am watching for traffic I don't have a problem with it. When I get on the MTB and hit the trails I always have a helmet though!

16. tumblecycle

tumblecycle New Member

Unless an extremely short ride I wear a helmet, and even for those "safe" rides I still feel nervous without having protection for my skull. One crash is all it takes to put you in the hospital or worse, I can't find any reason to justify not wearing one every time you get on a bike. For mountain biking I think it's particularly important, a fall could easily send your head into a tree, rock, riverbed, etc.

Greg likes this.
  17. roll6

roll6 New Member

I don't feel safe while riding without a helmet. My friend was involved in an accident whereby he sustained serious injuries. Since then I have never gone riding without a helmet. We are also not supposed to compete without wearing helmets. Helmets are for our benefits and we should not avoid wearing them.

Greg likes this.