1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gregs Cooks: Winter Warmer Beef & Veg Casserole.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Greg, Nov 2, 2014.

1. Greg

Greg MTB Rider Staff Member

I love proper hearty food and I'm happy to have stews all year round. In the winter though its so much nicer, theres nothing like getting in from a cold wet ride and having a hot proper meal waiting. To add a little warm to stews I like to use some chilli, and to add a bit of a cooked on a log stove feel I use a dash of liquid smoke.
    I used a home grown Fairy Lights chilli which are medium heat, I also used Stubb's Mesquite Liquid Smoke, Hickory and Pecan are too strong.

Winter Warmer Beef & Veg Casserole.
    • 1 tbsp oilve oil.
    • 2 celery sticks - thickly diced.
    • 1 large onion - thickly chopped
    • 2 large carrots - halved length ways & thick chopped.
    • 5 bay leaves.
    • 3 sprigs thyme.
    • 1 tbsp butter.
    • 2 tbsp plain flour.
    • 2 tbsp tomato purée.
    • 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce.
    • 2 beef stock cubes.
    • 400ml stout or real ale (I used Bad King John).
    • 200ml boiled water.
    • 800g stewing beef - cut into nice large chunks.
    • 1 tsp liquid smoke - Mesquite.
    • 1 small chilli - finely chopped.
    OR
    • 2 tsp smoked paprika.
    Feeds 2 or 3 very hungry mountain bikers if served alone, add dumplings or warm crusty buttered bread to feed more.

Pre Heat oven to 160C(140C Fan) & warm your casserole dish.
    Heat a heavy bottomed pan and add the oil and butter then the celery, carrots and onion and cook until the onion until it starts to become transparent (keep mixing it around so nothing sticks to the bottom or burns), add to the casserole dish.

Add the stock cubes to 200ml of boiled water, add the Worcestershire sauce, mix and add to the casserole dish. Place your casserole dish on a hob over a gentle heat to keep everything warm.

Coat the diced beef with flour, add to the pan and brown on all sides (might need to do in two or thre batches depending on the size of your pan), place in the casserole dish. Next add the bay leaves, thyme, tomato purée, chilli and liquid smoke (or smoked paprika) to the casserole dish.

Have a couple of glugs of beer for your effort, then carefully and slowly pour the rest in to the casserole dish, turn the heat up until the mix is simmering, put the lid on and transfer to the oven.
    I prefer to cook mine for around 4 hours, so one hour at 160C(140C Fan) then reduce to 140C(120C Fan) for the rest of the time. Or, cook it in a slow cooker!

IMG_3714.jpg
    Gregs Cooks: Winter Warmer Beef & Veg Casserole.

Serve on its own or with dumplings, yorkies or crusty buttered bread.

This time I halved the amount of purée as I used the last 4 of our tomatoes from the garden and also added half a swede that was in the fridge and double the celery. The beef was really cheap reduced to clear Tesco stewing beef, even after nearly 4 hours in the pot it was still a bit dry but fell apart in my mouth so cant complain. You can always add spuds, turnip and swede, or more or less of any of the veg to suite your taste!

[GALLERY=media, 138]Gregs Cooks: Winter Warmer Beef & Veg Casserole by Greg posted 2 Nov 2014 at 15:02[/GALLERY]