1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

From 3x10 To 1x10 ... Because It Works, Not Because Its Macho.

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by Greg, May 20, 2014.

1. Greg

Greg MTB Rider Staff Member

1x10! So kool, so macho, so bang on trend, right? ... ;)
    When I first got my Canyon I wasnt that fit and the granny gear got plenty of use... as the months have come and gone I found I used it less and less, to the point where I tried not to use it just to test myself, slowly but surely I missed it less and less until I could do all my normal routes without it.

Now its not all about the granny gear, theres the big ring too ... that nasty 40t chain ring! That got even less use than the 22t granny gear. Why? Well there isnt much use for it unless, 1 - I spent large amounts of time on tarmac and, 2 - there were more long descents around here or, 3 - I was a LOT fitter and able to ride the 40t in places where I normally ride the 30t. None of those apply and to add more reason to going 1x10 I was getting lots of chain slap on really rough stuff and getting worried about snagging the rear mech as its a long cage ... really long!
    After a couple of weeks riding to see if I could live with 1x10 I decided to take the plunge and go for it.

So I bought:

M640 Zee rear mech - wide ratio (11-36).
    RaceFace Narrow/Wide 30t - to match the 30t I was using on the 3x10 setup.
    ONE23 chainring bolts - turns out they're the same length as the ones on the crankset below.
    XT 175mm 104 BDC crankset - found out my bike came with FC-M672 175mm SLX crankset which has a 96mm BCD, boo.

Installing everything was about as easy as you could want and the result looks good. The Canyon has internally routed cables so I've left it in place and tied up both ends so the front mech can be re-fitted when I come to sell the bike.
    Best of all, nice smooth gear changes on the button every time. Perfect :)

Grand Canyon AL SLX 7.9 29er 1x10.jpg
    Grand Canyon AL SLX 7.9 29er 1x10  .jpg

IMG_1543.jpg

IMG_1560.jpg

2. Greg

Greg MTB Rider Staff Member

So 6 months after going 1x10 and all is well, not a single dropped chain and the clutched rear mech as also helped stop most of the chain slap too. Been thinking about tryng a 32t next, just waiting for a second hand one to come around at the right price. Been trying to stay off the 36 gear as much as possible so going to a larger chain ring wont be so hard.

Theres only one thing I've missed (and I didnt thing I ever would) by going 1x10 with a 30t chain ring and thats top end. As fast as I can spin nothing replaces having that big ring up front and applying loads of torque on roads and longer declines off road. Looking forward to 11 speed becoming affordable, that extra range will mean being able to run a 32t or 34t chain ring instead of a 30t or 32t ... I hope this makes more people see the potential for the 1x setup and give it a go ... it will only make you fitter!

3. chris obrien

chris obrien Active Member

yes I have single chainring on my five (30T ) with 40 T extender on rear , can climb anything

Greg likes this.