1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cycle-path availability in your area.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Steve Dawson, Sep 28, 2015.

1. Steve Dawson

Steve Dawson New Member

The town in which I live is a large-sprawling town that has benefitted in recent years from many cycle paths being built as inner-city roads are upgraded and the local council puts more funding into anything that can help with the inevitable traffic congestion that a large town will suffer from. During the weekend I explored the local cycle-paths and discovered that it is now possible to travel almost entirely around the outskirts of my town on cycle-paths. Its a journey of about 17 miles and I had to use road for only a very small proportion of the journey, probably less than 2 miles. What are the cycle-paths like in your area, are they adequate for you or would you prefer more of them ?

2. Greg

Greg MTB Rider Staff Member

We've got a reasonable amount of cycle ways here, trouble is (same with many growing towns I expect) the older part of town isn't really suited to building them. The newer residential areas though have much better cycling infrastructure and there is also access to the nation cycle network, which although not quite directly, links up local towns.

Maybe one day the government will realise the greater benefits of cycling as a mode of transport and build dedicated cycle highways to link towns together. More direct than the cycle network routes and safer than riding on narrow country B roads. I'm pretty sure it would encourage many many more people to cycle to work and as a recreational activity.

Steve Dawson likes this.
  3. Steve Dawson

Steve Dawson New Member

Not to mention the environmental benefits. We used to have snarling traffic every rush-hour, ok we still have snarling traffic every rush-hour but it hasn't got drastically worse since the cycle-path building started even though the size of my town has virtually doubled in the last decade. The cycle-paths I've always used were formally a bit overgrown in places and rarely used by many people, but now theres actually a mini rush-hour on the cycle-paths in the mornings, its really nice to be able to ride into town with plenty of other cyclists.

Greg likes this.
  4. noodle

noodle Member

Our city has been building more of them recently. It's definitely a good thing as two very busy main roads run through the city with lots of large trucks. I've personally seen three cyclists killed in front of me in the past 5 years. It's incredibly dangerous to ride through the city so safe paths on the outskirts are a must. Hopefully that reduces the number of people who cycle up the highways, although I suspect some people will still want to take the 'shortcut'.

It's a lot safer in the suburbs though so there are many cycling paths there. The city is very hilly (it's a volcanic area) so it's a hard slog to cycle round!