1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coffee - what do you drink and how do you make it?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Greg, Oct 19, 2014.

1. Greg

Greg MTB Rider Staff Member

I've been drinking coffee for years, pretty much started off drinking various instant types, then Costa or Starbucks started selling little tins of microground whole bean coffee in Tesco which was a whole load better tasting than normal instant. Then came Kenco Milicano which was a load cheaper than the microground coffee and still much better tasting them normal instant, I'm guessing it was really popular as recently I cant seem to find the little 50 serving tins of microground coffee. Nescafé Azera is another nice instant and a lot stronger tasting then Milicano. If I happen to be near a Costa express I often cant resist a proper coffee.

Earlier in the year I received a Hario TCA-3 coffee syphon as a gift, its a real funky looking bit of kit, and with some practice it also makes a really nice brew. Weekend breakfast coffee has become a part of my weekend ritual, there really is nothing like the smell of freshly ground coffee beans, and the only thing better than the smell is the taste. I've tried several types of bean and the ones so far for me are Guatemalan, which are strong but with plenty of flavour too.

tca-3.jpg

As its a bit of a process to use the syphon for faster brews I also have use drip filters, a whole lot less faffing and really easy to clean up after!

2014-08-11 18.19.46.jpg

:happy::happy::happy::happy::happy:

2. JCMTB

JCMTB New Member

I am a simple person. I will usually just get the brewed coffee at Starbucks. Always drink it black!

Greg likes this.
  3. tumblecycle

tumblecycle New Member

That looks like something out of Breaking Bad, Greg!

I love coffee and drink it essentially every day. I'm a broke nonprofit employee, so nothing terribly fancy for me yet. At work I use their percolator, which does the job albeit unremarkably. At home I have a Bodex french press that I like quite well. I'm hoping to get a mechanical grinder to grind my own beans soon, for the time being I just get pre-ground beans. I drink it black typically but enjoy lattes/cappuccinos from time to time as well.

Greg likes this.
  4. Greg

:D it is a bit chemistry lab looking! Haven't had time to use it for a while now which is a shame, mornings are a mad rush with a toddler so I tend to use a drip filter now, it's much quicker and easier to clean.

chris obrien likes this.
  5. AndyB

AndyB Wheelie for Safety Staff Member

I use a french press like this:

pic001.jpg

I grind whole bean, French Roast is my favorite. No paper filters to mess with and always tastes great.

6. Greg

I love Guatemalan, can't beat the smell freshly ground beans, delicious! I had a French press originally but the mesh wore out. Have been thinking about an aero press once I run out of filters.

7. AndyB

That is unusual. Typically a good quality French press will last forever or until you drop it and the glass breaks.

Greg likes this.
  8. Greg

Wasn't a top of the range one, looked like where it folded round the base it started to un mesh and allow grind to pass.

9. AndyB

I think spending a few extra dollars for the best is money well spent in this situation.

Greg likes this.
  10. Greg

Indeed, that was by I then bought a Hario syphon instead of a cheap Chinese brand!

11. chris obrien

chris obrien Active Member

found these two in tescos , hazel nut and irish cream instant coffee ....like it very muchDSC00244.JPG

Greg likes this.