1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cleaning your bike

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by Sam, Sep 26, 2015.

1. Sam

Sam New Member

Hi everyone

I assume this is in the correct section :relaxed:

So I have just got myself a rockhopper had a GT avalanche for some time. My question is how often do you clean ? I have just done me chain with muck off and re lubed them but how often should I be doing this ?

Also in the rock hopper my disc breaks are making a rubbing noise I assume I have some mud caught how do I get this out ? Ride it out ?

Also any other cleaning tip etc would be great, I know not to clean too often, no pressure washer etc but I am very new to all this. And any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Sam

2. paulsmith73

paulsmith73 Member

Hi Sam and welcome! If my bike is muddy then I hose it down to get the mud off and diluted degreaser from Screw Fix on the drive train.
    What ever you do, don't use a jet wash on your bike, the force of the water will flush all the grease out the bearings in the hubs, bottom bracket and headset and you'll end up replacing them in no time.

3. Greg

Greg MTB Rider Staff Member

Only use a hose to rinse your bike off, a jet wash or pressure washer will force all the grease out of the bearings as Paul said. You won't notice it's happened until your bearings start to go.
    When I clean mine I spray it over with Mucoff, especially the cassette, chain and chain ring, soak the rest of the bike with water to loosen any dirt up. Then put the hose on the jet setting and that will get all the mud and crud off, if you have a soft bristle brush use that to free any stubborn muc. Stream water over the cassette whilst pedalling backwards to rinse all the junk off the chain, etc.

4. sboss86

sboss86 New Member

I just rinse my bike down with a hose. I use wd40 on a rag to help clean any build up of chain oil off. I've read bad things about using a jet washer on bike so definitely don't do that.

Greg likes this.
  5. Greg

Forgot to add, the rubbing noise could be some grit or dirt caught as you said, try streaming water over the caliper whilst spinning the wheel, that should rinse it out.

6. Sam

Sam New Member

Thanks guys, want to look after my bike the best I can!

7. Sam

Sam New Member

Should I strip everything down every time I wash it or just rinse it over?
    Sorry for the silly questions, never owned a bike I cared about before

8. Steve Dawson

Steve Dawson New Member

That really depends on how much time you've got free Sam. If you plan on stripping everything down every time you ride your bike then thats going to add up to a lot of time. I commute a few miles every day and just clean the excess mud and dirt off my bike every night. I give it a much more thorough clean during the weekends but its not always needed. It depends on what sort of terrain you're going to be riding over and how messy your bike is going to get. The more messy it is, the more you need to clean in the nooks and crannies, if its just a daily ride to work on roads and good surfaces, its not really going to be necessary to strip it down too often.

Sam and paulsmith73 like this.
  9. paulsmith73

paulsmith73 Member

No need to strip down after every ride. Really I'd depends on how dirty your bike is.

A quick clean - 10 mins
    A quick rinse is all you need if your bikes just got a few splats of mud and dusty. Soak with water, rinse off with a soft bristle brush to help loosen the muck off.

A medium clean - 20-30 mins
    As above but also degrease the drive train, cleaning most of the gunky build up off. Dry the chain. Leave over night to dry, re lube the chain, oil the fork stanchions, check for wear of components (cassette, chain rings, pads, discs), check tyres for cuts/damage.

That Full English - 45mins - 1hr+
    As above, but next day once everything has dried off in the garage, pull the wheels off, check the bearings, remove the crank, clean the chain rings and check the BB bearings, clean the cassette and jockey wheels, check the derailleur. Put it all back together and rear grease any bearings that need it, really lube the chain (and give a good detail is I can be bothered, but the new bike look is worth it!).

If you keep on top of keeping your bike clean it will serve you well. Components will wear less, things will go wrong less often (because you'll catch them before they do). Look after your kit and it will look after you! (y) :thumbsup:

Greg likes this.
  10. Sam

Sam New Member

Ok that makes more sense now. I plan on looking after this bike so its good to know how to. Thanks for all the helpful replies.

11. Greg

Great post Paul!
    We all start somewhere Sam, glad we can help you out :)

12. chris obrien

chris obrien Active Member

I have got a mobi 17 litre mobile washer , not too powerfull , it has its own battery or you can plug it in fag lighter in the car