1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chilterns Again 20/09

Discussion in 'Pictures' started by Greg, Sep 20, 2015.

1. Greg

Greg MTB Rider Staff Member

Really mixed conditions at the moment keeps things interesting, bone dry bridleways but wet n' wild in the woods! Much more road riding than I would have like but gotta link up the off road some how.

P1000421.jpg
    P1000425.jpg
    Glad the Garmin knows where I'm going!!

P1000426.jpg
    P1000433.jpg
    P1000439.jpg
    P1000455.jpg
    P1000461.jpg
    P1000469.jpg
    P1000472.jpg
    P1000474.jpg
    P1000481.jpg
    P1000494.jpg
    P1000534.jpg
    P1000560.jpg
    P1000567.jpg

2. paulsmith73

paulsmith73 Member

Great photos there again Greg! Do you use your phone?

3. Steve Dawson

Steve Dawson New Member

Looks like a beautiful part of the country. Wiltshires my locality, we've got plenty of long rolling hills and maybe its your excellent camera, but your neighbourhood looks far more pleasing to the eye than mine. I particularly love your Garmin device. How much does one of those set you back and how easy do you find it to look at when you're moving ?

4. Greg

Thanks @Steve Dawson , my local riding is mostly rolling hills too around the Ridgeway to the west of the Thames. My last few weekend rides have been the other side of the Thames exploring some new territory in the Chilterns. It's a nice change to ride in the woods and different kinds of trails compared to my local(er) riding.
    My Garmin is a Edge 200 which I bought it second hand for £55. It was the cheapest Garmin which allowed me to load routes on to it and which then had a basic kind of navigation. It's nothing fancy like you'd find in a car, so there are no maps to view, just the uploaded route which it tracks using GPS. Simple really and makes exploring new places so much easier, I used to have to keep stopping and looking at my phone or a OS map, try and memorise the next bit or riding, stop, check, carry on!!! Now I just plot a route on ridewithgps.com using OS maps as a guide, download to the Garmin and go have fun :D

5. Steve Dawson

Steve Dawson New Member

I'm a dinosaur with new technology and am continuously amazed at the extent to which technology has made our lives easier. The price of your magic box of maps was considerably lower than I expected too. I've walked quite a lot on the ridgeway but not ridden it so much. It has wonderful sweeping views across the fields, and is completely stunning, particularly in the Summer. Thanks for the information too, now I'm going to have to put the Garmin on my Christmas list.

Greg likes this.
  6. Greg

Ha ha, well I think I was one of the last generations of kids to grow up without mobiles phones or Internet. Technology is an amazing thing, and I do wonder what it must be like for kids these days.

Oh if anyone wants to get your present early there is a cycling special event on at Aldi starting today. They have the next model up from mine, the Edge 500, for £79.99. https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/thur-24-sep/product-detail/ps/p/garmin-edge-500/

7. Greg

Paul, sorry I missed your comment!! Wasn't ignoring you, honest :D I used to use my phone, but it was a pain to keep stopping, getting out out my bag, taking gloves off, unlocking it, etc. I was using a little cheap point & shoot but it isn't water proof and has a pop out lens that will get damaged one day. So I recently bought a little Lumix Tough camera and its really brilliant for what it is, plus it's water proof and shock proof.

8. paulsmith73

paulsmith73 Member

No problem! Been thinking about gettgetting a little camera that was all, I keep my phone safely buried away on my bag so it doesn't get damaged!