1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Black Mountains MTB Explore

Discussion in 'Pictures' started by Greg, Jun 12, 2016.

1. Greg

Greg MTB Rider Staff Member

Had a free day on Saturday and wanted to ride somewhere grand after missing out on Dartmoor last week due to illness. With Dartmoor and Exmoor being a bit too far away I got on the OS Map for Wales and settled on the Black Mountains.
    Was unsure all week if it would be a go due to the weather forecast, but slowly things looked on the up and on Friday the forecast was rain AM leading in to a dry afternoon with sunny spells, prefect! It was ridiculously humid down in the valleys after the rain, slow; hard sweaty climbs were however rewarded with huge views and a much needed cool breeze once up on the ridge lines.
    Plenty more to explore another time, maybe with better suited gearing (a 42t on the back instead of a 40 might just be enough?)and definitely not with a light XC wheelset and tyres :ROFLMAO: :ROFL:

P1030101.jpg

P1030104.jpg
    No trolls!
    P1030115.jpg
    First epic view half way up the first monster climb.
    P1030116.jpg
    P1030131.jpg
    P1030132.jpg
    Not a grave, a very old property boundary marker.
    P1030145.jpg
    Sheep
    P1030154.jpg
    Rideable with lower gearing and better suited tyres?
    P1030160.jpg
    Probably fun going down, not so much fun going up :(

Attached Files:

2. Greg

P1030168.jpg
    Grand view from the top (almost).
    P1030169.jpg
    Step down in to not so dry "dry looking" bog = OTB!
    P1030172.jpg
    No caption necessary!
    P1030176.jpg
    P1030179.jpg
    P1030181.jpg
    Monastery Rocks descent
    P1030182.jpg
    P1030186.jpg
    P1030195.jpg
    The view from Lord Hereford's Knob...
    P1030202.jpg

3. Greg

P1030208.jpg
    Towards the reservoir from Y Das.
    P1030211.jpg
    P1030214.jpg
    P1030215.jpg
    P1030217.jpg
    P1030224.jpg

4. Marchesmon

Marchesmon New Member

Wow, amazing pics Greg, all of this is right on my doorstep, I recognise a few of the locations/scenes, but ashamed to say I've never ridden any of it. It was me who commented on instagram, am keen to have a go at a similar (or the same) route, the gpx. would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Sam

5. Greg

Hi Sam, welcome to the forum. it's pretty spectacular up there, especially when the sun is out. I'll tidy up the gpx a bit, there were a couple of little bits that really weren't that good near the start, and upload this evening.
    It's worth checking out the Brecon Beast later this year too, same kinda riding and not too far from you either.

6. Greg

Well it turns out that part of the route I did was actually featured in MBR in May! I've uploaded my route to the first post and added a RidewithGPS map, this inclueds the monster climb up from Llanbedr on to Blaen yr Henbant / Crug Mawr, then a long fire road climb, but has a long easy road ride back to Llanbedr at the end.

Below I've also added the MBR route (plucked off Strava ;) ) which starts the other side of the Black Mountains at the foot of Y Das. It's a tough one, 3000ft + elevation gain in roughly 15 miles but a lot more straight forward and rewarding!

Attached Files:

7. Marchesmon

Marchesmon New Member

Hi Greg,

I did the MBR route yesterday, was at a loss as to where to ride, bored of trail centres and the usual local spots, I'd read May's MBR Saturday and seen the route so decided to give it a crack, I'll try and post a thread with some photo's and a write up at some point.

Cheers

Sam

Greg likes this.
  8. Greg

Thats great Sam, look forward to your write up. Hope you got on all right and the weather kind!

9. chris obrien

chris obrien Active Member

a couple of years ago bob lott took us up from llanbedr up to waun fach climbing most of the way , what a descent that would be .....that bridge looks familiar , the rhinos ride took us past that dam at grynn fawr ( pardon my welsh ) after the hike a bike up y das pass ....would like to go back there one day

Greg likes this.