1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best chain oil?

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by Scott-Aspect740, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Scott-Aspect740

Scott-Aspect740 New Member

What's the best chain oil to use, I have been putting some3in1 on but now its squeeking like crazy after riding in the rain saturday

2. Greg

Greg MTB Rider Staff Member

Hi and welcome @Scott-Aspect740

It's best to avoid thin oils such as 3 in 1 as they don't offer any real protection.
    For winter riding you'll want a thicker oil that wont wash off the chain when wet and muddy - Finish Line Wet is very popular!

Scott-Aspect740 likes this.
  3. Scott-Aspect740

Scott-Aspect740 New Member

alright thanks, will look it up

Greg likes this.
  4. noodle

noodle Member

I use Rock N Roll lube. The one called "Extreme" from their range is really good on mountain bikes (especially if you're riding in muddy conditions). There aren't a huge amount of options where I live (unless you want to pay a lot for shipping). Rock N Roll is a little expensive but I think it's worth it.

Scott-Aspect740 and Greg like this.
  5. Greg

Greg MTB Rider Staff Member

I noticed on the American forums that Rock n' Roll is quite popular there too. I have been testing something different for about a year now from the US called Chain-L, I'll write different post about that later.
    I've got to say we are REALLY lucky here in the UK, we've got a huge variety of brands to choose from thanks to online retailers like Chain Reaction Cycles, Wiggle and Merlin.

6. noodle

noodle Member

Most people round here tend to buy the local store-brand oils but I haven't had amazing experiences with them. They're cheap but they don't seem especially effective. That's good you have plenty of choice in the UK! It sounds like mountain biking is very popular in the UK - there are only about 5 mountain biking magazines sold here and two of them are UK magazines. I've seen a few of the competitions held in the UK (via YouTube) and it looks like there's a lot of interest (and talent!).

7. roll6

roll6 New Member

I do use the ProLink chain lube. ProLink chain lube actually treats the metal with MFR (Metal Friction Reducer) to reduce friction. You'll get smoother shifting and a quieter drivetrain in any condition.which actually treats the metal with MFR (Metal Friction Reducer) to reduce friction. You'll get smoother shifting and a quieter drivetrain in any condition.