1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

a shoe and pedal question ....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sam, Oct 3, 2015.

1. Sam

Sam New Member

2. sboss86

sboss86 New Member

Spds are hard work. I tried them but couldnt get used to clicking in and out of mine so sold them and went back to flats.

3. Sam

Sam New Member

Ok thanks, I might give them a miss, bit concerned about getting my feet out fast enough if I needed to. What would you recommend? Any particular pedals?
    Mine are really slippery when wet and muddy, it's hard to keep my feet on them! They looks like the plastic ones that my old bike had

4. noodle

noodle Member

I've got these and I like them. It's definitely not for everyone though - I do a lot of snowboarding so I'm used to the concept of being connected to my equipment. It depends what sort of tracks you're riding too. The ones here are so rough sometimes, I'd get thrown off the bike constantly if I didn't have them.

Do any of your friends have some you could try out? Always better to give it a go before committing. Especially as they can get pretty pricey!

Greg likes this.
  5. Greg

Greg MTB Rider Staff Member

SPDs will take some getting used to. My first ride with them was Ok, apart from trying to get clipped in which soon becomes second nature. However the second ride I came to a sudden stop at a T junction from a path to a road.... Totally forgot about being attached to the bike :eek:, it was a "TIMBER!!!" moment and mashed my knee up and felt like a total idiot!! That was two years ago, I still ride "clipless" and have no intention of changing to flats. Cliping in and out is easy too once you learn that you need to unclip to release yourself from the bike ... I guess for some people they just can't suss it out!! It's odd initially being physically attached to the bike, after so time though it's actually more reassuring than flat pedals, loosing my footing going over rough ground or in muddy conditions isn't a worry.

In the last two years I've noticed more and more people going clipless too, in all different cycling disciplines. I moved on from Shimano SPD earlier this year in favour of Time Atac MX6 pedals, they are a tiny bit harder to unclip, but offer loads more float, easier clipping in and security and dont suffer any mud/dirt clogging due to the pedal design.

If you can, try before you buy.

Sam and noodle like this.
  6. noodle

noodle Member

@Greg I definitely know that feeling of forgetting! For some reason it's always your knees that take the full brunt of it too.

Clipping can be a bit of a pain regarding footwear too. If you use your bike for riding to/from work (etc) it will mean you have a bit more to organise each day. I don't ride to work so it's not an issue for me, but if I did it would definitely be a hassle for me to have to take more things with me.

Greg likes this.
  7. Steve Dawson

Steve Dawson New Member

I've had the same problem with feet slipping on pedals plenty of times, apart from gaining me a fair amount of scar tissue on the shins, it also taught me to jam my feet sideways in the pedals. I'm size 12 so I didn't have to move them too much, just keep them away from the chain. It helped them not to slip most of the time, particularly in rainy conditions. Its worth a try, just don't get caught up in the chain.

noodle likes this.
  8. noodle

noodle Member

@Steve Dawson Ouch! The chain is not a friendly place to get your shin close to. I actually cut my foot up pretty badly on the spokes of a bike when I was a kid. Has made me slightly paranoid about getting my feet anywhere near them. Not always a bad thing though :)

9. Sam

Sam New Member

Well now Im not sure what to do. Maybe I shoulf get some second hand shoes and pedals and try them. my mates all just wear skate shoes and flat pedals. They have all slipped and have had horrible looking cuts on there legs from the pedals!!
    I only ride for fun im not brave enough to ride to work. Cold wet and would end up being run over by a mad head in a car round this way.

10. paulsmith73

paulsmith73 Member

The best way is to try it. Give it a few 10 rides so you have time to get used to clipping in and out, it will take a little while to learn. Clipping in soon becomes no different to putting your foot on a flat pedal and 9/10 times you will clips straight in without thinking about it! I've used Shimano SPDs for years and love them, it feels very reassuring being connected to the pedals on really rough riding, I'm not worried about loosing my footing at all.

11. Sam

Sam New Member

its very confusing terminology its called clipless but everyone talks about clipping in and spd pedals i dont even know what that means! The last bike I had I just rode the thing or fixed it when it broke :ROFLMAO: :ROFL:

12. Mark Cleverly

Mark Cleverly New Member

SPuDs are the way to go if you are a general xc/'enduro' rider with the occasional down hill thrown in, gives you loads of control and reassurance that your shoes will not slip off the pedal. Trick to using them for the first week or so is to back off the tension and slowly tighten them as you become more confident. Plus if you are a spinner (high cadence) it make pedalling a lot more efficient as you can pull up as well as push. I promise everyone who uses them has fallen over at least once, it's all part of the initiation :0)

Greg likes this.