1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

01/06/2014 - The Ridgeway - West Kennet to Didcot

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Greg, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Greg

Greg MTB Rider Staff Member

I was supposed to ride last Monday but after a good weekend it rained ... and I got a good case of CBA. Normally the weather doesnt stop me getting out but after a nice long weekend being faced with slogging it out in mud I gave in and stayed at home.

With the weather looking great for this weekend I was looking forward to a ride on my list of rides to ride en route to a dirty century (perhaps). Been a busy couple of weeks getting tis forum running then updating the other halfs website (www.activetouch.biz) plus the usual mad rush with end of month invoicing plop at work left me pretty well beat by Friday evening. Sunday morning I woke up with a bad head on and not feeling too great, but the weather was nice and I was itching to get out for a proper ride.

Within 10mintues of setting off from West Kennet I knew it was going to be a tough ride ... not because of the conditions or terrain, but because of my head. I couldnt seem to find my "zone", my glasses and helmet annoyed me, so did the creek thats appeared from my saddle ... and then from one of my pedals and I just felt rubbish. Finding an Ice cream van was a result, that bottle of cold water tasted so nice, as did an ice cream ;), well as good as a cold tasteless liquid can, and topped up my hydration bladder which I had already guzzled a fair bit of.

Its the first time I've felt like that on a ride and I tried to be positive but it failed, so slogged it out with myself and focused no getting home, which is a real shame as it was such a nice day and there is some stunning scenery riding through the North Wessex Downs Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. I'm looking forward to seeing what the Chilterns leg of The Ridgeway has to offer!

Between Barbury Castle and Osbourne Saint George:
    Grand Canyon AL SLX 7.9 29er 1x10-1.jpg

Grand Canyon AL SLX 7.9 29er 1x10-2.jpg

Barbury Castle Country Park

Grand Canyon AL SLX 7.9 29er 1x10-4.jpg

chris obrien likes this.